So I’ve been getting home a little late the last couple of days and I love whipping this up as a dinner option! It’s seriously so quick and so easy – perfect for those nights were you just want to curl up after a long day!
It has delicious buckwheat, one of my favourite staples, and kale. Starting today in Australia (not sure if it is a worldwide event?) it is meat-free week. I have definitely been cutting down on my consumption of meat and animal products lately (as you could probably tell by the amount of vegetarian options I’ve been uploading lately!). It is something I am still toying with whether to make it a permanent choice, as I do have a lot of allergies to common vegetables that are used in vegetarian dishes, alongside other allergies and eating out has already become a a bit of a mission! But so far I haven’t had too many issues and from the research I have done, I think it can have such a positive effect on the environment and the animals!
Hope you enjoy the recipe and join me for meat-free week :)!
Vegan Kale Buckwheat Risotto
Makes 2 servings.
- 1 cup buckwheat groats
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 3 cups vegetables stock
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic (can use one, I like mine extra garlicy!)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 leaf of kale
- 1/2 avocado
- Tahini to drizzle (instructions on how to make your own here!)
- Rinse buckwheat and cook with three cups of stock + herbs over a simmering heat. The buckwheat will be done once the water has been absorbed (usually around 20 minutes…add more water if necessary).
- Around the 15minute mark add the celery to the buckwheat.
- At this time also, heat up 1 teaspoon of coconut oil and saute the onions and garlic.
- Add the sauted onions and garlic to the buckwheat which should be finished.
- Stir in the kale and allow the mixture to sit off the heat and covered for 5 minutes.
- Serve in two bowls, drizzle tahini over the top and top with sliced avocado!