The topping on this is so quick, easy and healthy to make – a great option for those of you who don’t like the taste of plain oats!
Also, the cinnamon gives the base porridge a nice taste + some handy little health benefits (one teaspoon contains the same antioxidant level as a half-cup of blueberries!)
Cinnamon Infused Porridge with Easy Apple & Berry Topping
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/4-1/2 cup of water
- half a teaspoon of cinnamon (or to taste)
- half an apple – chopped
- 1/3 cup of blueberries (or to taste)
- Place the oats with ONLY 1 cup of the water. Place on stove on high heat. Add cinnamon.
- At the same time, place the chopped apple and blueberries with about 3 tbsp of water, put lid on and allow to cook while you make the oats. You can cook to your liking – I like my apples soft and the water evaporated, which has usually happened by the time my oats are done 🙂
- Meanwhile, when water has began to evaporated in the oats, add the extra half a cup of water (or milk if you prefer).
- Stir continuously over medium heat until mixture boils, then simmer, stirring, for 3-5 minutes or until thick.
- I often will then take mine off the heat, and allow it to stand for a few minutes with the lid on (I usually make a coffee in this time 😉 the perfect multitasking breakfast)
- Distribute the porridge in a bowl and top with the chopped apple and blueberry mixture.