Vegan Carrot & Hazelnut Cupcakes with Vegan, Sugar-Free Coconut Frosting: Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, Corn-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free
Makes 8 cupcakes
For the carrot cupcakes:
- 125g hazelnut flour (hazelnut meal/ground up hazelnuts, can use almond)
- 16g coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds, soaked in 6 tablespoons water for 15 minutes (or 2 eggs if not vegan)
- 75 grams coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup liquid sweeter of choice – agave/rice malt syrup/maple syrup
- 2 pure vanilla essence (recipe here)
- ½ cup grated carrots
Vegan, Sugar-Free Coconut Frosting:
- 1 (400ml) tin coconut milk (refrigerated over night)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla essence (recipe here)
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 175°C and line a muffin tin with 8 cases.
- In a bowl, mix together the hazelnut flour, coconut flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the soaked chia seeds gel, oil, honey, and vanilla.
- Create a well in the dry mix and add the wet mix and stir gently until just combined. fold in the carrots.
- Divide the batter evenly into the muffin cases and bake for 15 – 20 minutes minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let them cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing: Remove the coconut milk from the fridge and scoop out the hardened coconut cream (keep the leftover for use as coconut water in other recipes, like smoothies!). Use a food processor or hand held electric whisk and whip to soft peaks, fold in the maple syrup and vanilla.Place the frosting back into the fridge to firm up a bit whilst your cupcakes cools on the wire rack.
- Spread the icing over the cool cupcake and either consume right away or store in the fridge in an airtight container :)!