Healthy Avocado Chocolate Cupcakes with Espresso Cream Cheese Frosting
This recipe is inspired by Chocolate Covered Katies 75 Calorie Chocolate Avocado Cake 🙂
Makes 10 – 12 Cupcakes
- 1 cup spelt or gluten-free flour mix
- 6 tbsp cacao or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup raw sugar
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup yogurt of choice (eg: lactose-free, soy, greek) (60g)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup mashed avocado, measured after mashing (60g)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Lactose-Free Espresso Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 220 g reduced-fat cream cheese Lactose-Free Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup pure icing sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa or cacao
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder, dissolved in 1 teaspoon hot water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Extra milk of choice, if needed
- Optional: Raspberries, Chocolate Chips, Goji Berries and Coconut for decorating 😉
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C, and place cupcake cases in a muffin tin. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, chocolate chips, and sugar, and stir very well. In a separate bowl, whisk together all remaining wet ingredients.
- Create a well in the dry ingredients and pour wet into dry and stir until just combined (don’t over-mix), then pour into the cupcake containers.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until batter has risen and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before cosuming, it makes it so moist and delicious!.
For the frosting Frosting:
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl and beat with an electric mixture until creamy. If it is too thick, add a little milk of choice and beat until spreadable. When the cupcakes are completely cool, spread the frosting evenly the top. Enjoy immediately, or cover and store in the refrigerator.