Vegan Carrot Cake Slice with Vegan Coconut Frosting Recipe
- 1.5 cups almond meal or hazelnut meal
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon stevia powder
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds(with 6 tablespoons water, set aside for 15minutes to create gel texture)
- 60g coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup organic coconut milk
- 200g grated carrot
Vegan, Sugar-Free Coconut Frosting:
- 1 (400ml) tin coconut milk (refrigerated over night)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 Celsius and grease a cake tin.
- Place the flour, walnuts, baking powder, bicarb soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and stevia in a bowl and mix.
- In a seperate bowl, whisk the chia seed gel (aka the mixture of 2 tablespoons chia + water), coconut oil and coconut milk together with a fork. Add this mixture to dry ingredients.
- Squeeze out excess water out of the carrot and add to the bowl too and fold through.
- Spoon mixture into a tin and bake for 45 minutes or until cooked through.
- Turn on a wire rack to cool.
- To make the icing: Remove the coconut milk from the fridge and scoop out the hardened coconut cream (keep the leftover for use as coconut water in other recipes, like smoothies!). Use a food processor or hand held electric whisk and whip to soft peaks, fold in the maple syrup and vanilla.
- Spread the icing over the cake and either consume or store in the fridge in an airtight container 🙂