Sometimes I struggle with what to put on pasta or spread over a pizza paste, and often just go with a pesto sauce (which is delicious nonetheless!). But if you want to mix it up a bit, I really recommend this sauce, it is filled with all sorts of delicious vegetables and, from my memory, is pretty close to the real deal!
This is really delicious with some buckwheat pasta and parmasen cheese sprinkled on top. But you could basically use it in any recipe that calls for tomato sauce!
Hope you like this one!
Tomato-Free Tomato Sauce! (Nomato Sauce)
- 12 carrots
- 2 small beets
- 2 large onions
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 6 celery ribs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 – 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 – 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 – 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 3 cups of water
- Chop all the vegetables up and put everything in a covered pot.
- Bring to the boil and reduce heat to a simmer until all the vegetables are soft (about 20-30 minutes)
- Take out the bayleaves. Once the bayleaves have been removed, blend the mixture well until smooth.
- Use as you would normally tomato sauce 🙂