As you may have realised, my family is a BIG fan of coconut! I made this cake for my mothers birthday, and I have to say, this cake definitely tended to our family’s love of coconut!
This cake is drizzled (well more so poured, hehe) with a healthier version of chocolate ganache, instead of using full fat cream, coconut milk was used which infused the dressing with a coconut flavour – yum!
Hope you like this recipe 🙂
Coconut Flour Chocolate Cherry Cake – Nut-Free, Gluten-Free, Dairy-free
- 1/4 cup cacao
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup honey or organic maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 cup frozen pitted cherries
- 100g dark chocolate
- 100ml coconut milk
- Shredded coconut and strawberries for serving.
- Preheat oven to 160 C and line a 15cm baking tin.
- Combine the cocoa, coconut flour, baking powder, cinnamon and sea salt.
- Add the eggs, honey, vanilla and oil.
- Mix well until smooth and combined.
- Fold in the frozen cherries.
- Spoon into lined baking tin lined and Bake the cake for 40 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Melt 100g of chocolate in a double boiler. Once melted remove from heat. Stir in the coconut milk with a whisk.
- Drizzle chocolate mixture over the cake and sprinkle with coconut. Serve with strawberries for a pop of colour if desired!