Don’t let your leftover brown rice go to waste! Instead of using it in a stirfry, why not try it for breakfast in this creamy porridge recipe instead! A great gluten-free alternative to oats!
Hope you enjoy and have a lovely day!
Vegan and Gluten Fee Creamy Brown Rice Porridge
- 2 cups precooked brown rice, loosely packed (reserve 1/2 cup)
- 3/4 – 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1-2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- few pinches nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder (optional if you want a chocolatey hit!)
- Toppings: Shredded apple, goji berries, a few fresh blueberries and hemp seeds.
- In a blender, add 1 1/2 cups of the cooked rice and 3/4 cup of the milk. Add the remaining ingredients also(not the toppings though!).
- Puree the mixture and transfer the mixture to a saucepan.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup of rice, and turn heat to medium-low.
- Let the mixture thicken and warm for several minutes. Add the remaining milk if desired to thin.
- Taste, and adjust with sweetener if desired, and stirring through any other add-in’s if you like!
- Serve and sprinkle with topping of choice – I topped mine with 1/4 chopped apple, a few fresh blueberries, goji berries and hemp seeds, but other fresh fruit, dried fruit or nuts of choice would be equally as good :).