Hi Y’all :)!
University has kicked in for another semester, meaning, I should have less time in the kitchen to experiment. But lets be realistic here, I am quite a bit of a procrastinator, so will one way or another, end up there at some point!
I love these little bliss balls and think they are a great study snack and offer so much more than a chocolate bar would when the afternoon slumps hit! They are a delicious mixture of dates, raw cacao, maqui berry, buckwheat and a bit of vanilla! They are so simple to whip up too yet taste so decadent!
I recently bought some maqui berry from Loving Earth, keen to try it out after trying it in one of their chocolate bars and lovvving the taste! Maqui berry is considered the highest antioxidant fruit on the planet and has been used in Chilean folk medicine as anti-diarrhoeic, anti-inflammatory, anti-haemorrhagic and febrifuge!
This recipe is also nut-free and gets its texture from Buckwheat! So if you have children and aren’t allowed to bring peanuts or nuts to school, this is a great option :). Buckwheat is also free of wheat, grain and gluten…and delicious!
Vegan Maqui Berry and Buckwheat Bliss Balls
- 1 cup Raw Buckwheat Groats
- 1 cup of dates
- Two heaped teaspoons of raw cacao powder
- Two heaped teaspoons of maqui berry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon corn-free, natural vanilla essence
- Soak the dates in hot water to make them nice and juicy 🙂
- Meanwhile, while the dates are soaking away, cook your buckwheat groats. To do this, heat two cups of water with 1 cup of Buckwheat and allow all the water to be absorbed.
- Drain the dates.
- Place the cooked buckwheat, dates and remaining ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth!
- Create balls out of the mixture and store in the fridge!