Lately I’ve been meal-prepping to save time and ensure I have a healthy dinner if I have any late nights – all you have to do is a quick zap in the microwave. It’s also a great option for work lunches!
This recipe uses one-pot and is full of lean protein, greens and whole grains! It’s doesn’t take long and is a great Sunday afternoon activity to provide you with a few easy meals during the week! Also, who doesn’t like a one-pot dish ;)?
This meal is low in saturated fat, low in sodium, low in sugar, very high in manganese, vitamin B6 and vitamin C – not too shabby huh!
Hope you enjoy the recipe! Great topped with a drizzle of tamari or a dollop of tahini.
One-Pot Mixed Vegetable Brown Rice Bowl with Chicken (Quick, Healthy Meal Prep!)
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 230g skinless chicken breast, chopped and cubed
- 1 cup uncooked organic brown rice
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 3 cups mixed vegetable – carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower
- 4 tablespoon sunflower seeds – toasted
- Bring 1/2 cup of water to simmer in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for about 6 minutes or until tender and water is absorbed.
- Stir in the chopped chicken, rice, broth, thyme and basil and remaining amount of water.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30minutes.
- Add broccoli, carrots and cauliflower and continue to cook for about 15minutes or until vegetables are tender and all liquid in absorbed.
- Remove covered pot from heat and let it sit for 5 minutes, uncover, then fluff with a fork.
- Distribute four portions into containers, and sprinkle each portion with 1 tablespoon of the toasted sunflower seeds.
- When ready to consume, reheat and top with a drizzle of tamari, or tahini, or sweet chilli sauce, or just enjoy plain!