And happy belated Valentine’s Day!
I hope you all had a good week last week! It was Valentines Day on Friday and I jumped on board the copious amounts of berries that were being sold in the supermarket discounted the day after (oh, and the discounted chocolate – and they say Valentine’s Day is just for couples!)
I find many jams include fruit pectin which is generally derived from some form of citrus and some type of corn thickener! SO, if you like me, have citrus and corn allergies, say hello to jam again with this simple recipe!
I love chia seeds, they are great for adding volume to food, for example, in porridge (eg: Volumious Chia Specked Porridge) or as an excellent egg-replacer in cake, desserts or in smoothies! They really have become a staple in my allergy-friendly diet 🙂
Hope you enjoy the recipe! It’s lovely spread on a piece of toast, spooned in with yoghurt or oatmeal, dolloped on a cracker..or mixed with a nut or seed butter *drool*!
Blueberry, Blackberry and Vanilla Chia Seed Jam
- 1.5 cups blueberries
- 1.5 cups blackberries
- 3.5 tablespoons Agave Syrup
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp corn-free vanilla extract
- In a pot over medium heat, bring the blueberries, blackberries, agave syrup and vanilla extract to the boil.
- Stirring regularly, reduce the heat to low-medium and allow the mixture to simmer for 5 – 7 minutes.
- Lightly mash the berries with a fork (or you can use a blender if you want a smoother texture).
- Stir in the chia seeds until combined and cook the mixture till it thickens (about 15 minutes),
- Make sure you stir often to avoid it sticking to the pot.
- Once the jam is at your desired consistency, remove from heat and store in jars in the fridge!
- Enjoy 🙂