Who could say no to the colour purple?
This is great recipe to get children (or 21 year old purple-lovers like me) to eat their vegetables and oatmeal! This recipe uses the purple sweet potato, the delicious purple sister of the familiar orange variety! The purple colour is completely natural and the more intense the colour, the more antioxidants these potatoes have! Also, I did some research and the purple-fleshed sweet potato anthocyanins—primarily peonidins and cyanidins—have important antioxidant properties and anti-inflammatory properties – can’t say no to that 😉
You could use a normal orange sweet potato, but I love the fun addition of purple for something different!
This recipe is made in the slow-cooker, making mornings a breeze and a great option if your in a rush – no more waiting around for the water to boil and oats to do their magic!
Hope you enjoy this recipe and splash a little colour into your mornings :)!
Slow-Cooker, Purple Sweet Potato Oatmeal!
- 1/2 cup oats
- 2 cups Coconut Milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 cup grated Purple Sweet Potato
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon, to taste
- 1/4 tsp all-spice
- 1/8th tsp ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup regular oats
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- Coconut oil, to grease
- Greek Yogurt: For Topping
- Rub your crock pot with a small amount of coconut oil to make cleaning up easier later!
- Add everything except the greek yogurt to your slow-cooker and mix.
- Cook on low over night (about 7 – 9 hours).
- In the morning, stir your oatmeal well. If it is still a little thick, you can add in water or milk.
- Dish out the mixture into bowls and top with a generous dollop of greek yogurt! Or you could top with coconut, nuts or a dollop of coconut cream!