For the last two weeks I’ve managed to have caught a bit of nasty cold and flu unfortunately! It seems to be at the tail-end now (hopefully!)…so I’ve just started feeling better and being in the kitchen more!
One of my friend’s said her favourite remedy when she is sick is to have a curry. I thought I’d try this theory out and decided to create a curry. Now, I’m not actually a fan of things too spicy and, in general, I’m not really into hot currys! So this recipe is quite mild, but I found the taste to be a delicious, warming flavour that was perfect to have in this cold UK weather!
Because this recipe is mild, I think it would be a great recipe to use to introduce those who don’t like spicy dishes to a curry dish. It is also filled with delicious sweet potatoes, crunchy green beans, spinach, chicken and mixed with creamy coconut milk on a bed of brown rice – yum!
Better yet – this recipe uses little pots and pan! One frypan for the curry and one saucepan for the brown rice – that’s it for whole recipe. This recipe is also allergy friendly with no dairy, corn, gluten, wheat, eggs or fish!
If you like things a little spicier – I would suggest using a stronger curry powder or increasing the amount! Feel free to serve with Naan bread and yoghurt.
Hope you enjoy the recipe!
Creamy Sweet Potato and Green Bean Chicken Coconut Curry Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed and chopped
- 2 tsp mild curry powder
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts , cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 300ml chicken stock
- 400ml can organic coconut milk
- 175g green beans
- 75g of fresh spinach leaves, washed
- 1 cup of brown rice
- In a saucepan, prepare your brown rice – place 1 cup of rice in boiling water and gently boil for 25 to 30 minutes, or as per packet instructions.
- In a deep frying pan (or a wok), heat the oil up, stir in the onion and garlic and allow the onion to cook for a few minutes. Add in the curry powder and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken and sweet potatoes, stirring to coat in the curry powder.
- Pour in the stock and coconut milk to the pan. Bring mixture to the boil, then simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Gently stir in the green beans, bring the mixture back to the boil and simmer for futher 5 minutes. Stir in the spinach leaves before serving.
- Divide the brown rice rice among serving plates and top with the curry – enjoy!