Ho, Ho, Ho..Well, December has officially kicked in and the merry season is all around us…namely, for me as it seems, in the kitchen.
I don’t know why, but whenever I think of Christmas, I think of gingerbread…it’s a bit of a weird recognition to have, seeing that in Australia, turkey, pudding and custard (the nemesis of one with a corn allergy!) seem to dominant the period!
So of course, with the start of the Christmas season, I wanted to make something gingerbread-y as soon as possible, and what’s sooner than breakfast?
Lately, I’ve been really enjoying ginger – adding it smoothies, to dinners, and now, well to an oatmeal dish dedicated to it! I love the flavour of it, but it also has quite a nutritional profile! Ginger can help aid digestion, relieve nausea (and morning sickness), help with motion sickness and have anti-inflammatory qualities. So why not add a little bit of this to spice up your breakfast too!
Hope you enjoy this meal and the start of the Christmas season everyone!
- 1/3 cup regular rolled oats
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- pinch sea salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk (non-dairy to make dairy free)
- 1 tbsp treacle/or molasses
- 1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (for a corn free recipe, click here)
- 1 – 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds for topping
- In a small saucepan, add oats, flaxseeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, pinch of salt, water, milk, treacle and maple syrup.
- Bring mixture to the boil and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla extract and remove from heat.
- Serve in a bowl and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds. Enjoy!