Two more days left of exam block for me (countdown is on!) and as a study break today, and in my usual procrastinating mode, I decided to quickly whip up some warm, spiced apple.
This recipe is quick and great for a snack by itself, on top of porridge (like below..I chopped up half the recipe and added to the porridge and layered the remaining on top with flaked coconut – yum!), chopped and mixed with some natural yoghurt, or take the savory root, and have it with some pork on your fork!
For porridge ideas you can use as a base for this, or for other breakfast ideas, click here.
Instead of butter, the apples are warmed in coconut oil. I love the taste of coconut, so love using coconut oil! Plus it has some added health benefits too. Such as, hair care, skin care, stress relief, maintaining cholesterol levels, weight loss, increased immunity, proper digestion and metabolism, relief from kidney problems, heart diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes, HIV and cancer, dental care, and bone strength. So a great option for some studying fuel!
The recipe is sugar free as I find the natural sweetness of the apples to be fine enough for me! If you the sweeter things of life you could add 1/2 tsp – 1 tsp of maple syrup also.
Sugar-free, Warm Cinnamon and Coconut Apples Recipe
- 1 apple
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Core the apple and slice into thin pieces (keep the skin on for extra nutritional benefits!)
- Heat the coconut oil over medium heat in a saucepan.
- Once the oil has melted, add the apple to the saucepan and stir.
- Once the apples have been coated in the oil, add cinnamon and stir.
- Cover the saucepan and cook until the apples soft, or to your personal liking.
- Serve warm!