This recipe is a favourite in our house and is quick to put together – the hardest part is probably chopping the pumpkin or trying not to ball your eyes out as you dice the onions!
I love the combination of cumin and pumpkin together, so this dish was an automatic winner in my books! The recipe also includes some other aromatic spices that team well with the lamb, green beans, spinach and pine nuts!
Serve with a dollop of thick, creamy greek yoghurt!
Lamb and Pine Nut Pilaf Recipe
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 750g butternut pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, cut into 1cm pieces
- Sprinkle of cumin (separate for cumin below – and added to your desire)
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1&1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- pinch of allspice (optional)
- pinch chilli powder (optional – I did not add as I’m not a fan of things too spicy!)
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice, rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- 2 lamb loin fillet, chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2/3 cup plain Greek-style yoghurt – to serve
- Preheat oven to 230°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Place pumpkin, in a single layer, on tray. Spray with oil. Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with cumin to taste. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 7 minutes or until onion is tender. Add coriander, cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and chilli powder. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Add rice and stock to pan. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Add green beans. Cover and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid mostly absorbed. Add spinach leaves. Stir to combine. Remove pan from heat. Cover.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Season both sides of lamb with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking.
- Add pumpkin, pine nuts and lamb to rice mixture. Stir to combine. Serve with a dollop of yoghurt!
2 thoughts on “Lamb and Pine Nut Pilaf”
i have pine nuts and greek yogurt left over from last week, so i’ll have to try this 🙂
Great 🙂 I love meals where you don’t need to go to the grocery store! Hope you enjoy!