I thought I would experiment away from my typical favourite oats and try a quinoa porridge for breakfast yesterday morning.
The quinoa has a really nutty taste and I love it in savory dinner dishes. This breakfast meal I enjoyed too, and I think would taste great with the addition of nuts and maybe a drizzle of maple/honey/agave. Quinoa is a great and versatile grain for people with allergies/intolerances to gluten and definitely one of my favorites!
Warm Quinoa Breakfast Porridge with Apple & Sultanas Topping
- 1/4 cup of Quinoa
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of sultanas
- half an apple – chopped thinly
- Combine quinoa and 3/4 cup of cold water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in milk.Cook, covered, for 10 minutes or until quinoa is tender.
- Meanwhile, place the apple, sultanas and cinnamon and about 1/4 cup of water in a separate sauce pan. Cook until apple is soft and cooked to your liking, aout 5 – 10 minutes.
- Spoon quinoa porridge into bowls. Top with the apple and sultana mixture. Drizzle with sweetener if you desire and nuts if you like. Serve.