I love the combination of oats and apple with bircher muesli, but for the chillier months we’ve been having I like to alternate and create a warm dish. I made this morning for breakfast, served with a warm coffee. Perfect winter morning!
I like my oats not too sugary, but I know some can find the taste to be bland. Therefore, I have listed that you can mix in a little bit of brown sugar into the mixture if you like your oats a bit more sweet. Another option would be to drizzle pouring cream over the porridge to add to the creaminess of the oats, I’m personally not a fan of cream so that is why I have not done that! Hope you enjoy the recipe.
Warm Porridge with Apple Compote and Pecan Nuts
- 1 apple, cored & roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup traditional rolled oats
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (optional – I didn’t add)
- 1 tablespoon chopped pecan nuts
- 2 teaspoons sunflower seeds
- honey or maple syrup to drizzle
- Combine apple,caster sugar, cinnamon and 1 tablespoon cold water in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until fruit is tender but compote still chunky.
- Meanwhile, bring 1 cup cold water to the boil in a saucepan over high heat. Stir in oats and salt. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes or until porridge thickens (porridge will coat the spoon when ready). Remove from heat. Cover. Stand for 5 minutes (porridge will cool and thicken slightly on standing). Stir in brown sugar if using.
- Stir three-quarters of the compote through porridge. Spoon into bowls. Top with remaining compote. Sprinkle over chopped nuts and sunflower seeds. Drizzle with honey or maple syrup. Serve and enjoy!