I’ve only recently discovered saffron! This is the first recipe I’ve tried it in and I must say – I’m a fan! The saffron adds a nice buttery colour to the dish and adds a sort of earthy flavour. It’s strong so you only need to add a little bit!
Gluten-Free, Vegetarian Saffron Risotto
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 75g unsalted butter
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, halved, finely chopped
- 1/2 celery stick, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 & 3/4 cups Arborio Rice
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 1 cup finely grated fresh parmesan
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Bring the stock to the boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat and hold at a gentle simmer.
- In a separate large saucepan, heat the butter and oil in a large saucepan over low heat.
- Add the onion, celery and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring, over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of stock to the rice mixture and use a wooden spoon to stir until the liquid is completely absorbed.
- Continue to add the stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly and allowing the liquid to be absorbed before adding the next cup.
- Cook until the rice is just tender and the risotto is creamy (this will take about 25 minutes).
- Add the saffron, cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until well combined and heated through.
- Remove from heat and stir in the parmesan.
- Season with salt and pepper.