Yesterday was my first day off from work and the first day I could celebrate that I had finished uni for the year (wahoo!)
However, the weather wasn’t as happy as me and decided to storm all day – to the kitchen it was! (Oh, and I MAY have been guilty of seeing the latest, and final, installment of the Twilight Saga films too..)
These muffins really don’t take long to put together and are great because they are ingredients most have in the fridge (there was no way I was facing the stormy weather to walk up to the grocery store!)
Hope you enjoy the recipe. They use applesauce instead of oil/butter, and the coconut milk infuses such a nice flavour!
If your feeling extra decadent, I think these would be great with dark chocolate chips
Gluten free, Vegan and Oil free Coconut Muffins Recipe
- 2 cups gluten free flour (you can use my recipe here)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 & 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (for my corn & gluten free recipe click here)
- 2/3 cup shredded coconut (plus more to sprinkle on top)
- Brown sugar to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven to 205ºC (or 400ºF)
- Line a muffin tray
- In a bowl, stir: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda & salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine coconut milk, applesauce and vanilla.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the liquids. Gently stir to just combine.
- Fold in shredded coconut.
- Spoon the batter into muffin cups. Sprinkle with additional coconut and brown sugar (to taste).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden.
- Allow muffins to cool for five minutes, then remove from tin.
- Enjoy your vegan, oil-free and gluten free muffins