I know it has been awhile since I have posted – uni work has got the best the me lately!
But it’s Father’s Day tomorrow so I got myself into the kitchen to cook dad a decadent treat!
My sister also has been feeling a bit under the weather lately, so this dish really doubled up as a sweet little gift for them both
I was inspired for this recipe because my sister loves caramel (like everyone in my family as I soon discovered)and in particular is my biggest fan when it comes to the normal chocolate caramel slice I make (recipe here)
However, I wanted to spice things up a bit and serve something a little different from the norm slice. Welcome macadamia nuts. These add a delicious bite and go so well with the chocolate bits and gooey caramel!
Instead of melting the chocolate, chocolate chips are sprinkled over it, adding a nice texture against the rigged macadamia nuts, smooth caramel and shortbread-like base.
This dish went down a treat with requests for seconds!
Hope you all have a lovely and safe fathers day and if your looking to spoil dad I think this recipe is perfect
Hope you try it out!
Chocolate Chunk and Roasted Hazelnut Caramel Slice Recipe
Gluten-Free, Corn-free, Egg-free
Makes 16 delicious slices!
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour mix (I used my recipe here)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 380g tin Nestle Top n Fill (Can be found in baking aisle in Australia)
- 200g dark chocolate chips (I use Nestle ‘bits’ – no corn !)
- 125g macadamia nuts
- Preheat oven to 180C and lightly grease a 30cm x 20cm base measurement with baking paper.
- To roast the macadamia nuts, spread the whole nuts, in a single layer, evenly on a baking tray – roast for 7 – 10mins, set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl. Mix with a fork.
- Melt the butter and add the vanilla essence, then add this mixture to the flour and stir with the fork until combined.
- Press the mixture in the prepared pan (I used the back of a metal spoon) and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden.
- Set aside to cool slightly. Whilst this is cooling, chop the macadamia into rough pieces.
- Spread the nestle top N fill caramel over the base.
- Sprinkle the macadamia nuts and dark chocolate evenly over the caramel.
- Gently, press the nuts and chocolate into the caramel mixture.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely in the pan before removing and cutting into squares to serve